On Jun 28, 2:09 am, "Mike Orr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I would probably want this optional URI in a subclass rather than in
> SAContext itself.  The reason 'uri' is a required argument is to
> guarantee that the default engine is initialized at all times.  When
> we designed SAContext we (Mike & I) agreed that the bound metadata
> strategy was the most straightforward and adequate for most user apps:
> the 80/20 rule.  Hiding the engine (connectable) as much as possible
> in the metadata, while still making it accessible when you really need
> it.  Now we're adding one unbound metadata strategy after another.
> That's fine as log as it doesn't detract from SAContex's primary
> commitment to its primary userbase.  I'd say a mandatory URI and bound
> metadata is part of its primary commitment for an easy-to-use front
> end: a normal Python TypeError for "You forgot the 'uri' argument" is
> about as straightforward as one can get.  Or is that changing too?
> Are you having second thoughts about using bound metadata by default?

OK just FTR heres why SQLAlchemy is "not a framework" and why in order
to do things without the advent of a framework you work with all these
little highly granular components, and also why im still antsy
including SAContext in SA.  just trying to establish the simplest
"heres your connection" object spawns all this debate over how it
should look/work/act/etc.  I would encourage those here to look at
SAContext, see that its a dead-simple piece of code, and just work up
various preferred versions of it to taste.  My goal with it was more
to illustrate *how* you can build these things.