On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 17:07 -0400, David Turner wrote:
> Don't do this.
>
> There is no way to make 100% certain that you don't end up with stale
> locks.  Sure, you can have an ajaxy thing that pings the server every
> minute or so to say, "I'm still editing this", but then the user goes
> off to lunch and everyone is stuck until they get home.

If you're using JS anyway, I'd use a combination of short-refresh
server-side locks (maybe 30s interval, with AJAX polling from the client
to keep the lock alive) and a keystroke client-side lock with a longer
(30m?) interval.  If the user doesn't interact with the form for 30m,
consider it unlocked and alert the user.

> Or a malicious
> user can lock up all your pages forever.

Don't allow malicious users to edit your pages?

=)

Cliff