On 9/20/07, voltron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In principle its the way that Jose suggests, only that I´m not
> allowing page caching. I would have to do some more testing though to
> test against the cases that Mike mentioned about sessions being out of
> sync

Two cases I've noticed it (non-Pylons):

1) You have a search feature and save the last executed search in the
session, either as a list of result record IDs and/or the search
critera (dict).  This lets the user page through the results or press
the "Back" button to return to the last-viewed result page.  If it
can't find the page number in the query string, it looks in the
session or defaults to page 1.  But say the user has executed another
search in the meantime, or idled and got timed out.  The search is
overwritten or cleared.   I show a "No previous search found" error
and redirect to the search form.  This message sometimes comes up in
unexpected cases.

    I haven't seen this with Christoph Haas's paginator, which redoes the query
    with a limit for every page.  But that's a different strategy, and
not necessarily
    suitable for complex searches.

2) You have a shopping cart that displays the number of items on every
page.  (In my case it's a list of chemicals to run scenarios on, but
same principle.)   The user presses the "Back" button, and it shows a
number that was correct at some time in the past but not any more.
The user thinks something is broken but doesn't understand what.  When
they click "Add" or "Delete", it jumps to the right number, which at
least reassures them that all their selections haven't been lost.

--
Mike Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>