Mike Orr wrote:
> On 10/21/07, Stou Sandalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I am running 0.9.6, after some tinkering I found out it was
>> ToscaWidgets that was causing the dependency, sorry.
>>
>> Is there something out there a bit 'newer' or 'cleaner' than tw that
>> someone can recommend?  At least something that doesn't depend on all
>> those packages from PEAK that are 3 years old (PyProtocols, etc.)

Out of curiosity, is there any inherent problems in packages 3 years old?

> The non-ToscaWidgets way is plain ol' FormEncode but then you're going
> lower level.  ToscaWidgets has been positioning itself as the high-end
> solution; I don't know of any other that works with Pylons.  So the
> real question is, when will ToscaWidgets modernize its dependencies?

Yeah, I've been planning to drop the ruledispatch dependency long ago
since it has caused more problems than it has solved (specially due to
its C speedups). I've just comitted a TODO file [1] as a kind of roadmap
for things I'd like to get done before releasing a final stable 1.0.

> Looking at TW's setup.py, the only "ancient" dependency is RuleDispatch.
> http://svn.turbogears.org/projects/ToscaWidgets/trunk/setup.py
>
> I recall a discussion about wanting to improve RuleDispatch and spin
> it off, but apparently this has not been done yet and there are
> insufficient volunteers for it.
>
> I'm stunned that ToscaWidgets would depend on Myghty by default,
> especially since it's spun off from TurboGears which prefers
> Genshi/Kid.  Maybe they did this as a courtesy to Pylons 0.9.4 and
> they could change it fairly easily?

TW doesn't depend on Mighty. However, I've nailed the problem and worked
around it in newest trunk: Apparently Pylons declares a
python.templating.engines entry point, pylonsmighty, which TW tries to
load when initialized [2]. This will cause a DistributionError if Myghty
is not installed.

> Though looking at setup.py, I don't see how Mako is strictly required
> unless you invoke the "Mako extra".  Though I'm not sure how you'd
> install an extra with easy_install anyway.

Alberto

[1] http://trac.turbogears.org/browser/projects/ToscaWidgets/trunk/TODO.txt

[2] Actually, it tries to load all entrypoints by default on init time.
This should be fixed so they're loaded JIT to prevent this kind of errors.