Mike Orr wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2007 5:36 AM, Alberto Valverde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi people,
>>
>> I've just registered and uploaded to PyPI (aka cheeseshop) the first
>> release candidate of the first beta of ToscaWidgets and twForms.
>>
>> This means that the API is stable enough to safely build and distribute
>> widgets with it.
>>
>> Furthermore, a little envy from Pylons' new Trove classifier, and
>> Turbogears' old one, has pushed me to request one and it has been
>> conceded ;).
>>
>> Environment :: Web Environment :: ToscaWidgets
>>
>> Widget eggs you make might want to add it to setup.py so their metadata
>> can be pulled from PyPI and listed at toscawidgets.org (a là TG
>> widgets). The PasteScript template inside TW already adds it if you
>> create a widget skeleton with "paster create --template toscawidgets".
>
> I thought that syntax made a standalone application. But what's a
> standalone ToscaWidgets application, since it doesn't have its own web
> framework? And how can you combine this with Pylons?  It looks like
> you'd have to create a TW application, copy what you want into the
> Pylons application, and then delete the TW application?

It's not a ToscaWidgets standalone application but a ToscaWidgets egg.
This egg can be the listed in the "install_requires" of any application
that needs it for easier deployment. It is really only useful to create
a widget egg if you plan to distribute it or want to reuse it easily in
multiple apps, for "one-shot" widgets you can just declare them inside a
module inside your app's package.

BTW, I've found PasteScript useful for much more than "scaffolding"
Pylons or TG applications (or widget eggs). In a former job we used it
extensively to script the installation, via a web control panel, of PHP
applications (among others).

Alberto