On Nov 27, 2007, at 5:00 PM, Mike Orr wrote:

> Is it necessary to put the egg-info directory in version control?
> Every time i run "python setup.py develop" it updates those files,
> which I have to keep checking in.  Are they necessary for a production
> system given that "python setup.py develop" seems to recreate them
> fine if they're missing?

The production ini template currently resides in the .egg-info
directory, and it needs to be versioned controlled.

This is sucky: the template should just reside in the root directory
of the project, so folks don't have to worry about revision
controlling the egg-info dir. IIRC PasteScript hardcodes the template
location there.

There's also a paster_plugins.txt in there that can break things if
it's not maintained. But this is really a bug (of a different nature)
-- the file belongs there, but rerunning setup.py egg_info should
recreate it. There's an open ticket about it:

http://pylonshq.com/project/pylonshq/ticket/282

--
Philip Jenvey