On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 05:16 -0800, walterbyrd wrote:

> On Jan 26, 12:03 am, Cliff Wells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > 3) run links (in the VPS) and try to connect to 127.0.0.1:5000
> >

> I edited development.ini, and set the host back to it's default of
> 0.0.0.0. I tried connecting with 127.0.0.1:5000, but I got the same
> "connection refused" error.

Sorry, I think I misread this in my previous reply.  By "I tried
connecting with 127.0.0.1:5000" you mean you tried to use links to
connect to that port/address?

If you can't connect over localhost, then you've got a misconfiguration
in your firewall or somehow you aren't doing what you think you're doing
with Pylons.  Does your Pylons config reference another .ini file?
Maybe the port is getting overridden there.  And I don't want to sound
condescending, but are you sure you're using the .ini file that you've
been editing?  The problem you are having seems so unlikely that I think
you need to recheck your assumptions at every step.

Also, you should check your system logs.  If it's a system
misconfiguration issue (i.e. firewall) you should see something show up
there when you try to connect.

> If I run links, and connect to 127.0.0.1 with no port specified, it
> works just like connecting to the site from outside with real_ip.

That's expected.

> I am using lighttpd as my primary web server. I am not using a proxy,
> I don't have any traffic yet.

I stand by my earlier statement that avoiding using Lighty as a proxy is
misguided.  It might sound more complex, but in reality it's probably
simpler (and more secure) than the options.

Regards,
Cliff