Previously Mike Orr wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Brian Granger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  We have two pylons apps that we want to combine using a composite
> >  app.  One of our pylons apps has a database that needs to be setup
> >  using the standard 'paster setup-app' command.
>
> I have doubts about whether setup-app is really worthwhile.  An
> alternative is to make a scripts/ package in your application and run
> them with "python -m".  Or you can get fancy and set up entry points
> to make them normal executables.

at this moment it still appears to be the documented way to do
application setup, so either there should be a new documented best
practice or this should be fixed. I just ran into the same problem
(although it appears to break differently now) so I'ld expect this to
be a fairly common issue.

> The problem with setup-app is it can only do one thing, and that thing
> may be wrong when copying an existing deployment or updating it.  For
> instance, you may have to create the database tables, or reset the
> data to an initial state, or add a column or modify its type without
> disturbing existing data.  Or you may have to reinitialize some tables
> but not others, or set up some data files, etc.  if setup-app took
> arguments it could handle all these cases, but it doesn't.

I get the imporession that you are talking about migration types of
usage here. That is a very different problem than initial application
setup and is indeed best served differently, most likely in a way that
is much closer tied to the specific application.

Initial setup is simple and predictable in most cases: create a
database, create some tables, load some initial data, maybe create a
file and directory or two. websetup/paster setup-app seems to be a good
standard way to do that.

Perhaps it can be extended with a flag to make it refuse to run if it
has been run before, which will prevent people from accidentily zapping
existing data.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    It is simple to make things.