On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 08:50 -0700, Mike Orr wrote:

> The problem with C libraries is a lot bigger than just Google.  It
> frustrates users on Windows and Macintosh to no end, and many of them
> give up trying to install Pylons/lxml/ToscaWidgets/wxPython and go on
> to something else.  Precompiled binaries don't always exist, are too
> old, hard to find, or built with the wrong C compiler or Unicode
> width.

I think this is less true that it used to be.  Microsoft now makes a
free version of Visual Studio available which is sufficient to compile
Python extensions on Windows:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/

I've only used it once, several months ago, but it seemed to work fine.
I think issues people might have with this will be documentation issues.

As far as Mac, I don't think C extensions are much of an issue (unless
you include OS9).

Obviously C extensions that aren't written in a portable way are going
to be a problem, but that's *their* problem.

Regards,
Cliff