On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 22:00 -0700, Mike Orr wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Cliff Wells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  The method I've been using is documented here:
> >

> > http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#administrator-installation
> >
> >  I'd like to add, that except for this one problem I've encountered, it's
> >  worked quite well for a few years now.  I see virtualenv as solving a
> >  problem that was already solved by setuptools itself quite some time
> >  ago.
>
> This is going to be another of those "dumb users" issues we clashed
> about before.  Users are put off by having to read some large and
> semi-obscure manual that isn't even part of the official Python
> documentation in order to install packages.  What other programming
> language does this?  To top it off, they have to choose from three
> configuration methods, and some of them involve root changes in the
> Python distribution.  And we have to put that at the *beginning* of
> the Pylons documentation, before they've even installed Pylons!  That
> really makes Python look like a half-baked programming language.

I didn't find this to be particularly convincing, but I will give you
some ammunition for if/when this comes up again ;-)

I was looking over the virtualenv features and it does in fact, have at
least one significant technical advantage over the setuptools way: you
can have multiple virtualenvs per user.  This is something you wouldn't
achieve without some ugly hackery using plain setuptools and actually
seems pretty useful in general.  With setuptools it's one virtual
environment per user, but no more.

Regards,
Cliff