Previously Cliff Wells wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 13:03 +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > I am trying to figure out what the best practices for dealing with
> > static resources such as CSS, Javascript and images are. With a
> > default pylons setup every request goes through two StaticURLParser
> > instances and files returned by them do not get any caching headers.
> > This is very practical for development but not ideal for a deployment
> > For a deployment it would be nice to be able to serve static resources
> > from apache or nginx.
> >
> > How do others do that? Do you use url_for to generate a URL for those
> > static resources and have that return a non-paster/pylons URL for
> > deployment environments and use the StaticURLParsers when running in
> > in development mode? If so, how did you set that up?
>
> I usually just setup Nginx to handle whatever location my static content
> is at.  It doesn't matter if Routes is setup to handle that location as
> the request never reaches Pylons.

How do you do that during development? Do you hardcode /public/ paths
for static resources everywhere?

I'm starting to think that a best practice setup is something like:

- instead of dumping static resources in / as currently done always
  put the in a private place, similar to how webhelper put its
  javascript files in /javascript/

- setup a separate route for static resources and always use url_for to
  them. I'm not entirely sure routes supports this at the moment.

- setup a URLMap in development.ini so you can run the whole site with
  just paster

- for production use a dedicated webserver to serve resources, possibly
  running on another host(name) even

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    It is simple to make things.