On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 18:43 -0700, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
> question though -- what if the @validate received the right params,
> but there was a db error or some other server error.  does that become
> another 4xxx code in your system, or are they all lumped into the same
> concept.  how are those instances translated into the @validate
> decorator?

Well, much of this problem is due to the same problem so much of the web
has in general: all-around bad planning and poor specifications.  It
does seem rather inconsistent that a form shouldn't return a 40x but an
internal server error returns a 50x.

At the end of the day, I suppose it might be acceptable to return a 40x
if you consider POST data as part of the request (at the same level as
GET arguments are).  So for instance it seems valid that:

http://domain.com?page=bar

returns a 40x and so a POST to

http://domain.com with a body of page=bar

should too.  And once you accept that, it seems reasonable to include
any invalid POST data as a 40x as well.  Shrug.

I reserve the right to reverse my position again after I've had another
beer.

Regards,
Cliff