On Nov 7, 2008, at 10:34 PM, Mike Orr wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Deron Meranda
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Florent Aide
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> If you're in a pinch and can't get simplejson to work, there are some
>> other JSON modules that are pure python.
>
> People aren't installing simplejson because they're using it; they're
> installing it because it's a Pylons dependency.  So you either have to
> download Pylons manually and hack setup.py, or find some way to get
> simplejson installed.  It's only used for the @jsonify decorator.
> I've argued for dropping the dependency or downgrading it to the older
> simplejson that doesn't have this install problem, but was overruled
> by "hopefully simplejson will fix their package soon".

AFAICT this is a new problem (at least I don't recognize it). Just to
clarify I did submit fixes for all the issues we encountered (to both
setuptools and simplejson), we were just waiting for the
setuptools-0.6c9 release, which was overdue anyway. That's been out
for over a month now.

Maybe we should reconsider dropping it -- I don't like a lot of
dependencies either -- but first I'd like to know what the actual
problem is here.

--
Philip Jenvey