----- Original Message ----
From: Jorge Vargas <jorge.var...@gmail.com>
To: pylons-discuss@googlegroups.com
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 4:45:35 PM
Subject: Re: Django or Pylons - comparison details

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Lawrence Oluyede <l.oluy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Colin Flanagan <quadvill...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I'm curious if Django's CMS reputation comes from the fact that it's used by
>> a lot of newspapers and content providers, or if there really is something
>> that makes it advantageous over other frameworks.
>
> Django's admin is very handy for content based sites. We're developing
> the Italian PyCon website with Django. While we develop the webiste
> some people can upload and review documents, rollback and stuff like
> that.
>
> Very nice. Nothing you can't code in Pylons or CGI with C, but it's
> nice to have it for free.

you should try out Catwalk2, tgext.admin and/or Rum. They are
currently the competitors in TurboGears2 regarding this playing field.

Catwalk2 and tgext.admin are build on top of Turbogears so you will
need that dependency (totally worth it) or if you don't want that then
Rum is a wsgi app

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Catwalk
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/tgext.admin/
http://docs.python-rum.org/user/install.html

Note: the author is catwalk and tgext.admin is the same guy, he is
currently considering of folding one of the projects into the other as
at this moment their only difference is that Catwalk2 is equivalent to
"django's autodiscovery" while tgext.admin is the "customizable by
code type of thing"
Note2: I haven't used any of the 3 outside a turbogears project, but
they will work in parallel

These are really interesting.  I'm especially curious to hear anyone's
experience using Rum with Pylons. I'm getting ready to build something really
similar but am now thinking otherwise.

My impression of Django's admin was that, once you've replaced the native ORM,
you no longer "get it for free." That still holds true, no?