On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 1:09 AM, Krishgy <kris...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mike.
>
> I hope rails refers to ruby on rails?
>
> If that is correct, why do we need to refer them 'rails' in Python Web
> Helpers? The concept could have been derived from rails but we can
> call them according to Webhelpers standard. We may include
> stylesheet_link as part of webhelpers.html.tags itself.

The "rails helpers" were ported from Ruby on Rails.  I've never used
Rails so I don't know how closely they match the originals, and of
course they've been modified over time.

The rails helpers are all in webhelpers.rails (though Pylons 0.9.7
applications should import them from webhelpers.rails.wrapped due to
the escaping issue).  But the rails helpers were all deprecated en
masse in WebHelpers 0.6, and replaced by new helpers in
webhelpers.html.tags, webhelpers.text, etc.

Rails helpers are often named with suffixes like "_tag", "_to", etc.
The new helpers generally do not have these suffixes:

    stylesheet_link_tag  ->  stylesheet_link
    text_field -> text
    radio_button -> radio

However, a few of the new helpers do keep the suffix:

    link_to -> link_to

--
Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com>