On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:35 PM, Graham Dumpleton <
graham.dumple...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 29, 7:52 pm, Max Ischenko <ische...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi jj,
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 00:42, jose <jj.gal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I can certainly sympathize here. ;)
> >
> > I have tried various deployment solutions as well for my work on
> > developers.org.ua project. I used to use supervisord plus mod_proxy +
> paster
> > serve (cherrypy wsgi). To start supervisord on boot time I wrote simple
> > /etc/event.d/supervisor script, I think I posted this solution to pylons
> > wiki.
> >
> > It worked nicely but then I discovered mod_wsgi and I was hooked. It was
> > considerably simpler setup compared to superisor/paster/http_proxy. It
> run
> > ok for about 4-5 months and then I switched deployment again. I had
> > experienced strange Apache behaviour where it would cease to serve
> incoming
> > requests even though on the surface everything seems just fine. I
> struggle
> > for a couple of weeks and then gave up. I am not sure it was mod_wsgi
> fault
> > or something eniterly different.
>
> Don't know if that was related to zombie issue you asked about on
> mod_wsgi list back in November or not. You were asked to supply some
> more specific information but you never responded. Bit hard to solve
> what ever problem it was when you don't followup about it. -(
>
> Anyway, all indications suggest it was something about your specific
> application, environment or configuration, as no general problem with
> mod_wsgi has come up which would explain such behaviour and no one
> else has reported anything like it.
>
> I do find though that a lot of problems people have are because they
> use embedded mode, especially with prefork, and do not bother to
> properly configure the Apache MPM settings to appropriate values for
> fat Python web applications. I have blogged about this previously in
> relation to mod_python, but also relevant to mod_wsgi embedded mode.
>

> http://blog.dscpl.com.au/2009/03/load-spikes-and-excessive-memory-usage.html

To be honest, I am a pretty big fan of Apache, and I have used mod_wsgi with
success.  Finding out about how to automatically reload apps is a nice find.
 I agree that when I am developing, I want to run on the actual server that
will be running my code in production.  It sounds like someone needs to
write the definitive guide to mod_wsgi :)  I would read it....

--
Cheers,

Noah