On Jul 7, 12:43 pm, Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 10:51 PM, apocalypznow<apocalypz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am running python 2.5.2 on a debian based box (mint 5) and I used
> > the package manager to download pylons 0.9.6.1-1.
>
> > In python shell, when I type:
> > from pylons import tmpl_context
> > I get:
> > ImportError: cannot import name tmpl_context
>
> 'tmpl_context' is new in Pylons 0.9.7.  It was called 'c' in earlier
> versions (and still is).
>
> > Also, what is wrong with python 2.6 and pylons?  Deprecation warnings
> > and errors occur on the same import.  I hesitate to show all the
> > errors here as I read somewhere that 2.6 is not supported in linux.
> > Is this true?
>
> The Pylons package in Ubuntu 9.04 (and I guess the Debian equivalent)
> is useless.  The distros upgraded the default Python version but
> forgot to check Pylons' compatibility with it.  Pylons 0.9.7 is
> compatible with Python 2.6, but it it was released too late to get
> into the distros.  This will be rectified in the next distro releases.
>
> All virtualenvs have an 'activate_this.py' script, which I believe is
> for cases likemod_wsgithat have problems with regular virtualenvs.

Actually, it is recommended that you don't use activate_this.py in
mod_wsgi and not necessarily a good idea in mod_python either.

This is documented in:

  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/VirtualEnvironments

Using virtual environments with Apache/mod_wsgi isn't that hard and is
also explained in that document, so not sure what the issue was.

Graham