On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Ben Bangert <b...@groovie.org> wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2009, at 12:34 AM, Mike Orr wrote:
>
>>> I upgraded Markdown to 1.7 last year, and now it's at 2.0.
>>
>> Deprecated webhelpers.markdown.  Users can install Markdown or the
>> alternate Markdown2 in PyPI.
>
> Why not leave it as is, but have it attempt to import the full Markdown 2.0
> if its around? That way you get Markdown 1.7 for free with WH, but if you
> really want 2.0, you install it yourself. A simple try/except for the import
> at the top should work fine.

That is what it does, as the next paragraph tried to explain.

>> Added a 'markdown' argument to
``webhelpers.html.converters.markdown()`` to specify the
implementation module.  If none is specified, it will try to import
``markdown``, or else fall back to ``webhelpers.markdown`` (with a
deprecation warning.)

If you think 1.7 should not be deprecated, I can take off the
deprecation warning. But I'm a bit leery of saying you'll roll the
dice and get one version or another depending on whether a package is
properly in the Python path, without telling you which one you're
getting.  Because sometimes Setuptools finds things in unexpected
places, or doesn't find things you've installed.

As long as the two versions are completely compatible and have the
same behavior, it doesn't matter.  But I notice that Markdown 1.7 adds
extra spaces and newlines that Markdown 2 doesn't, so I had to make
version-specific results for the test suite.  Who knows what other
differences might appear later.  At minimum, Markdown 2 has extensions
that Markdown 1.7 doesn't have, which would cause errors if WH falls
back to the built-in one.

BTW, I need your input on the feedgenerator & GIS issues in the other
WebHelpers threads.

--
Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com>