i don't like AuthKit ( no offense James ! - it's just never served my
needs ) and have had to integrate with systems like you describe.

so the tips i can give are this:

- create your validation and cookie-set/expire functions in something
like app/lib/helpers/auth.py
- put the logic you need in an abstract BaseController that your real
base controllers inherit from
- use class variables like self._auth_required to turn the auth
routine on/off on the BaseController

if you contact me offlist, I can give you my BaseController and sample
derivative classes