On Feb 3, 12:28 pm, Haron Media <i...@haronmedia.com> wrote:

> But if you have the constraints, you're doing the checks twice. First
> from your application, and then the db engine does it anyways since
> there are constraints. Perhaps you don't have a performance hit, but I
> can assure you, if you had a (highly) concurrent system and lots of rows
> to check and lock through (because you need SELECT ... FOR UPDATE;
> alternatively just lock the entire table) the performance hit would
> become significant and visible.

Absolutely -- one would have a significant performance hit on a highly
concurrent system.  However I've only worked on a handful of sites in
my entire life where this would cause a noticeable issue.  Very few
folks deal with this amount of traffic, and approaches like yours are
premature optimization for most folks.

It's great that this is a real issue for you.