Dear NYC Pythonistas,

We at the Modi Research Group of the Earth Institute at Columbia
University are hiring another 100% Python commando to join our team of
consultants.  The Modi Research Group plans energy services and
infrastructure in developing countries.

This is a full-time position with benefits, based on the university
campus.  Please apply through the Columbia University website at
http://jobs.columbia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=118575

We will be optimizing, web-enabling and scaling our remote sensing
system for finding houses in satellite images and integrating it with
our existing web-based infrastructure planning system.  Both systems
are written almost entirely using Python.  The web framework is build
on Pylons using jQuery and OpenLayers, scaled locally using RabbitMQ
and AMQP but we are considering Amazon EC2 for the public deployment.

Despite the serious nature of our work and the hectic pace of the lab
around us, our software team maintains a fun and relaxed environment
to maximize creativity and learning.  If you are a skilled and
disciplined software engineer, you will appreciate the level of
creativity that this position requires as well as the freedom to
incorporate cutting-edge techniques to solve challenging engineering
and mathematical problems.  Our software buildout cycle is rapid and
you will be able to see your work deployed quickly depending on the
quality of your code.  Though we work as a team, you will largely be
expected to be self-motivated, self-directed and able to find and fix
problems with minimal supervision.  Please be warned -- You must love
mathematics as much as you love writing code.

If you are not a citizen, be sure to include the status of your visa.
The people in the lab are diverse in technical expertise and
background.  You can read more about us and our work at
http://modi.mech.columbia.edu

Thank you for considering a position with us.
You're welcome to forward this email to anyone who is qualified and interested.
The full job description is below.

Job Title
GIS Systems Optimizer

Job Requisition Number
058260

Department
664-EARTH INSTITUTE

Location
Morningside

Job Type
Officer Full-Time Regular

Job Family
Engineering

Salary Grade
12

Salary Range
Commensurate with experience

Advertised Summary Job Description
A GIS Systems Optimizer is needed to document, optimize and deploy a
remote sensing system on satellite images from twelve sites of the
Millennium Villages Project, as well as prepare papers and
presentations on the system. To document the performance of the
system, the incumbent will design experiments and run the system on
satellite images from twelve Millennium Village sites. To optimize the
system to scan images faster, s/he will lead a team of developers in
rewriting the image recognition code to run on an NVIDIA GPU (graphics
processing unit) instead of the standard CPU, a step that has been
proven in industry and the literature to accelerate image recognition
by several orders of magnitude. To make the system more robust, s/he
will design unit tests to ensure that future enhancements to the
system will not break existing features. To make the system
accessible, s/he will work with our developers on web-enabling and
deploying the system on the Amazon EC2 cloud computing platform. The
publishing component of the position will consist of submitting papers
to journals and giving demonstrations at conferences. The incumbent
will also train individuals on how to use and improve the system,
record screen casts of the system in use and apply to grants for
possible funding of the next stage of the project.

Minimum Qualifications for Grade
Applicant MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered an
applicant        Bachelor's degree required, preferably in engineering.
Minimum of 3 years related experience in research or industry
required.

Additional Position-Specific Minimum Qualifications
Applicant MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered an
applicant        Experience in building a Python-based software system is
essential, as is prior work with GIS data and satellite imagery.
Proven attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and manage
multiple projects simultaneously is a must. Excellent oral and written
communication skills are required. Must be able to work in a team and
be willing to learn new technologies quickly.

Preferred Qualifications
Preference will be given to candidates who possess a master's degree
in computer science, mathematics or electrical engineering and who
have experience with image recognition and cloud deployment.

Requisition Open Date    04-16-2010

Quick Link       jobs.columbia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=118575

EEO Statement
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.