1. Bert, thank you!

2. Mike, this stuff is generally a mess:

There are now 4 valid options for a cookie:

Python Value | Cookie Value (all strings)
None         |
"None"       | None    < this is the new "experimental" one that google has
forced
"Strict"     | Strict
"Lax"        | Lax

You are supposed to still have the behavior you desire as long as the
samesite is "lax" and the cookie has a "domain" attribute.  That's the
public hope, at least.  There are some releases of specific browsers that
are broken.  It is a mess.

However, you need to understand these changes mean that the experience is
definitely going to break for some amount of users, as some browsers can't
handle the samesite values.  Browser sniffing can help get around that.

My approach would be deciding which users to prioritize and if you need to
work on browser sniffing.  I would look at your traffic logs to decide
that.

If you have a lot of chrome traffic, you need to do browser testing WITH
SPECIFIC CHROME FLAGS SET.  Not all installations of chrome have these set.

IIRC the flags you want to enable are:

chrome://flags/#same-site-by-default-cookies
chrome://flags/#cookies-without-same-site-must-be-secure