Dear pymol users,

in your experience, how does the graphical performance of pymol (or any other
graphical program) on a PC running under Linux with a good stereo-capable
graphics card (Nvidia Quadro, ATI FireGL) compare to a stereo-capable SGI
workstation (O2, Octane, Fuel, Onyx)? I've got an old Pentium III PC with 450
MHz and a (non-stereo) Nvidia GeForce2 MX440 graphics card side-by-side with
an SGI O2 with a R12000 processor: a simple pymol (0.86) movie of a protein
sketch at 800x800 resolution and maximum display quality requires on the SGI
3 minutes for 180 frames, i.e. 1 frame/sec, whereas the same movie requires
on the PC 20 seconds, i.e. 9 frames/sec. I wonder how this can be and would
like to hear about your experiences.
I've compiled pymol from the source file with the mips pro compiler from SGI.
Results were comparable with the previous pymol version for which I've
installed directly the binaries. Thus, I don't think that the speed
difference is due to a compiler problem on the SGI. I've got another graphics
program for protein modelling, Moloc, that runs on both platforms. There,
I've observed similar subjective speed differences in favour to the PC. But I
couldn't measure any benchmarks.

Best regards,

Dirk Kostrewa.

Dirk Kostrewa