> workstation (O2, Octane, Fuel, Onyx)? I've got an old Pentium III PC with 450
> MHz and a (non-stereo) Nvidia GeForce2 MX440 graphics card side-by-side with
> an SGI O2 with a R12000 processor: a simple pymol (0.86) movie of a protein
> sketch at 800x800 resolution and maximum display quality requires on the SGI
> 3 minutes for 180 frames, i.e. 1 frame/sec, whereas the same movie requires
> on the PC 20 seconds, i.e. 9 frames/sec. I wonder how this can be and would
> like to hear about your experiences.

Short answer: unless you're doing some very special stuff, the PC is
always the better deal.  SGIs are good when you're buying something *big*-
they get really interesting just past the limits of current PCs (e.g.
Onyx300 and up).

Long answer: The O2 does not have fast graphics.  What it can do is deal
with massive images/objects due to the weird unified memory architecture.
This is great if you're doing (for instance) video editing, or stuff with
lots of textures.

For raw polygons, though, the NVidia card will blow it away, even though
that's a relatively puny card by current standards.  There are limitations
to the PC architecture that can make it a pain in the ass to use after a
while.  For instance, I used to have a stock Micron machine with a
GeForce2-something and a 1200Mhz Athlon.  Interactive graphics were great-
Unreal Tournament had no problems.  As soon as I tried to render movies in
PyMOL, though, the entire system ground to a halt.  Switching to dual
processors, tons more memory, and U160 SCSI fixed this, but I've never
seen an SGI collapse that way.

The O2 is not really a good comparison, however, because it is not
designed primarily for modelling.  An Octane would have a better chance,
but only with faster graphics.  I just tried the Octane2 next door (first
time it's been available! yay!), which is a dual R14k-400 with V8
graphics.  Interactive display of the small ribosomal subunit (with
protein ribbons) was competitive with my Quadro4 900.

If you're just talking about *rendering* in PyMOL, my experience was that
a 600Mhz R14000 corresponds roughly to a 1200Mhz P4.  (For some
applications the speed difference is much less, but this is a good test
for a single-processor app.)

The only way to evaluate these differences, unfortunately, is to try all
systems yourself.  If you *really* have a lot of money to spend, sure, go
for the SGI- after about $6000 there's not much more you can do with a
single PC (unless you go for dual 23" lcds or something obscene like
that).  If you're on a budget, stick with a PC.

By the way- a Quadro4 needs a very powerful computer behind it to make
much of a difference.  If you try to use on on your PIII, you will be
disappointed.  (This seems obvious, but was a bit of a shock to me when I
found out the hard way.)

Nathaniel Echols                                                  Programmer
n...@bioinfo.mbb.yale.edu                                        Gerstein Lab
203-589-6765                                                 Yale University