On Thursday, December 11, 2003, at 05:47  PM, Warren L. DeLano wrote:
...PyMOL (like other programs) simplifies the secondary structure concept down to a
per-residue property.  There is no such thing as a sheet or helix in
PYMOL, but merely sets of proximal residues with a secondary structure
property (ss) of 'H' or 'S'.

load object-name.pdb
hide
show cartoon
dss object-name

Should be sufficient to get you a secondary structure representation for
any protein.

Hmm. When I try this I get a syntax error:
PyMOL>load EcHRSade.pdb
 Executive: object "EcHRSade" created.
PyMOL>hide
PyMOL>show cartoon
PyMOL>dss EcHRSade
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/sw/lib/pymol/modules/pymol/parser.py", line 251, in parse
    exec(com2[nest]+"\n",pymol_names,pymol_names)
  File "<string>", line 1
     dss EcHRSade
                ^
 SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I also get the error if I type on the command line  "dss EcHRSade.pdb"

Apparently pymol's dss works for others? Maybe a problem in the fink package, or on my particular system? I'm running the current fink package, 0.90-2, compiled from source on my PBG3(Lombard/Bronze).
Thanks,
--Michael