Hi Sean,

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 10:58:53 -0500 Sean Law <magic...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Robert,
>
> I would have to agree with you.  I've used many of your scripts and have
> also learned a lot from them and think that the color B script is pretty
> robust and helpful.

Thanks.

> I could be wrong but I remember the original poster commenting about using
> the "min & max" settings from the spectrum command and I wonder if that is
> used to control the min/max of B-factor values to color (so that any values
> outside of the range of min and max will be colored the extreme min/max
> color values).  Of course, I'm sure it's just as easy to add a couple of
> lines of extra code into your script to account for that (if it isn't
> already there).

The color_b.py script has options called "minimum" and "maximum" just
like the spectrum command.  These are used to select the range of
B-values to colour. So (using PDB code 1dvi as an example) if your actual
B-values are between 2 and 55.98 and you set the minimum to 10 and
maximum to 50, then use 8 bins (just to get nice numbers here!), by typing:

color_b minimum=10, maximum=50, nbins=8

You'll see the following output from the color_b.py script:

Minimum and Maximum B-values:  2.0 55.9799995422
Color select:  n. ca and (b <   15 or b =   15)
Color select:  n. ca and b >   15
Color select:  n. ca and b >   20
Color select:  n. ca and b >   25
Color select:  n. ca and b >   30
Color select:  n. ca and b >   35
Color select:  n. ca and b >   40
Color select:  n. ca and b >   45

So yes, anything within the lowest range and below will be in colour 1 and
anything within the highest range and above will be in colour 8.

Cheers,
Rob
--
Robert L. Campbell, Ph.D.
Senior Research Associate/Adjunct Assistant Professor