Hi!

I thought I just write down my thoughts on this issue and why using existing packages is good :-)

Basically it comes down to reuse. One big goal for software development always has been to be able to reuse software components. That's what has driven things like OOP and based on that also thoughts on lose coupling of components (such as the ZCA allows us to do).

In the Python world this led to the invention of eggs with automatic dependancy handling, it also led to reimplementing Zope2 as Zope3 and the invention of the component architecture.

Big packages are now split up into smaller parts (like grokcore.component was factored out of grok as it made sense to use it elsewhere).

This being said, we should make use of these packages as they are usually well tested, have a community around them and are mostly already in production use.

The downside (which really isn't one) is that the list of packages you need to install grows over time. But thanks to eggs this is automated. You would simply say

easy_install pyogp.lib.base

and it would download the library, all necessary packages and installs everything for you (or you do it via buildout but that's basically the same).

The list of those components might be somewhat long but remember that maybe some of these packages are rather small in size. So it's still better IMHO to have a list of small packages instead of one big one.

As for implementing it ourselves: Sure, we can do that but why? We would just reinvent the wheel, invent new bugs, need developers to get used to our stuff and spend time on writing tools instead of solving our actual problem.

So all these things IMHO make it worthwhile to reuse existing tools whereever possible. It might mean some learning cycle but chances are even bigger here that you will find documentation about it. And beside the ZCA which introduces new concepts I guess many of the other libraries are not such a burden in learning. E.g. grokcore.component (which we maybe wrongly usually refer to as "grok") is just some 4-5 directives you need to know and they are even similar to the ones you use with the ZCA directly.

So all in all I think reuse is the way to go, work with the community and don't reinvent the wheel.

My $0.02

-- Christian

--
Christian Scholz                         video blog: http://comlounge.tv