On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:16:14 -0800, Guido van Rossum
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But now, since I am still in favor of automatic "combined" adaptation
> *as a last resort*, I ask you to consider that Python is not C++, and
> that perhaps we can make the experience in Python better than it was
> in C++. Perhaps allowing more control over when automatic adaptation
> is acceptable?
>
> For example, inteface B (or perhaps this should be a property of the
> adapter for B->C?) might be marked so as to allow or disallow its
> consideration when looking for multi-step adaptations. We could even
> make the default "don't consider", so only people who have to deal
> with the multiple A's and/or multiple C's all adaptable via the same B
> could save themselves some typing by turning it on.

+1. BTW, I _do_ use adaptation, including the 'lossy' one described in
this scenario (where the mapping is imperfect, or incomplete). So
having some way to tell the adaptation framework that a particular
adapter is not suited to use in a transitive chain is a good thing
IMHO. Generically speaking, anything that puts some control on the
hands of the programmer - as long it does not stand in the way between
him and the problem - is good.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos