Steven> Obviously print is used by the rest of us too -- I count around
    Steven> 5000 instances in my installation.  However, I only count around
    Steven> 400 instances where a "print" line ends with a comma.

I took a quick look at my own code:

    980 active print statements
    110 active print statements with trailing commas
     67 active print statements with output redirection
      6 active print statements with trailing commas and output redirection
     64 inactive print statements
      4 inactive print statements with trailing commas
      6 inactive print statements with output redirection
      1 inactive print statement with trailing commas and output redirection

so more than 10% of the print statements in my code use the trailing comma
feature and more than 5% use output redirection.  I suspect the discrepancy
between use of the two features would be less if output redirection had been
available from the start.

Skip