"Martin v. Löwis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> Who knows what the whiny babies will accept?  That said, I think
>> people would be happy with a .zip file containing whatever is built by
>> selecting the debug build in the VS project and asking it to build
>> everything. (**)
>
> I would go a step further than Tim: Send me (*) a patch to msi.py (which
> is used to build the distribution) that picks up the files and packages
> them in the desired way, and I will include the files it outputs
> in the official distribution. This is how the libpython24.a got in
> (and this is also the way in which it will get out again).

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but won't that cause the
problem that Tim was worried about, i.e. a bloated Python installer?

> In the patch, preferably state whom to contact for the specific feature,
> as I won't be able to answer questions about it.
>
> I don't have a personal need for the feature (I do have debug builds
> myself, and it takes only 10 minutes or so to create them),

I know, me too.  It's easy enough once you get started building
Python.  I just think it's too big a hump for many people.

> so I won't even have a way to test whether the feature works
> correctly.
>
> Regards,
> Martin
>
> (*) that is, sf.net/projects/python

I s'pose that means, "put it in the patches tracker."

grateful-ly y'rs,

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting