On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 16:38, Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> I think part of the problem is that setup.py has a bunch of heuristics
> that are intended to do the right thing without user intervention.
> If, on the other hand, the user wants to intervene, because "the right
> thing" is wrong for cross-compiling, you are kind of stuck.  I don't
> think there is an obvious way to select the extension modules to build
> and the C libraries for them to link against.

This relates to an issue we've had to workaround with the distutils
based module builds in Python.  For some of the modules, we want the
auto-detection code to find versions of dependent libraries in locations
other than the "standard" system locations.  I don't think there's a
good way to convince the various setup.py scripts to look elsewhere for
things, short of modifying the code.

-Barry