[Guido van Rossum]
> What would break if we rewrote the save functionality to produce a
> predictable order?

As a reminder to anyone interested, there are three patches on SF
that provide this (each in a different way):

ConfigParser to accept a custom dict to allow ordering
     http://python.org/sf/1371075
Adds an optional argument to the constructor, the value of which will
be the class used to store the configuration data (so that a third-
party order-preserving dictionary class can be used).

ConfigParser to save with order
     http://python.org/sf/1399309
Does a sort() of the sections and options before writing them.

Add 'surgical editing' to ConfigParser
     http://python.org/sf/1410680
Adds an update_file method (no other changes) that updates the given
file to match the current configuration, preserving blank lines,
comments, and order.  [Disclaimer: this is my patch]

=Tony.Meyer