On 2020-06-23 22:50, Barry Warsaw wrote:
On Jun 23, 2020, at 14:31, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

I can't find it among the rejected alternatives, but was it considered
to use "..." as the wildcard, rather than "_"? It carries similar
meaning but its special case of "this will never be bound" is simply
preventing an error, rather than making one otherwise-valid name
special.

I thought of that too as I was reading the PEP, but forgot to add it to my
notes.  I do like ellipsis more than underscore here.

+1

However, what if you wanted to match Ellipsis?

This could lead to bugs:

Ellipsis
>>> Ellipsis = 0
>>> Ellipsis
0
Ellipsis

If you can have "case False:" and "case True:", should 'Ellipsis' become a keyword so that you could have "case Ellipsis:"? Or do they have to be "case .False:", "case .True:", in which case it could remain "case .Ellipsis:"?