Hi Skip,

I think the performance difference is because of different versions of
NumPy. Python 3.9 installs NumPy 1.21.3 by default for "pip install numpy".
I've only built and packaged NumPy 1.19.4 for "nogil" Python. There are
substantial performance differences between the two NumPy builds for this
matmul script.

With NumPy 1.19.4, I get practically the same results for both Python 3.9.2
and "nogil" Python for "time python3 matmul.py 0 100000".

I'll update the version of NumPy for "nogil" Python if I have some time
this week.

Best,
Sam