On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 11:35 AM Chris Jerdonek <chris.jerdo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is it also slower even when running with PYTHONGIL=1? If it could be made
> the same speed for single-threaded code when running in GIL-enabled mode,
> that might be an easier intermediate target while still adding value.

Running with PYTHONGIL=1 is a bit less than 1% faster (on pyperformance)
than with PYTHONGIL=0. It might be possible to improve PYTHONGIL=1 by
another 1-2% by adding runtime checks for the GIL before attempting to lock
dicts and lists during mutations. I think further optimizations specific to
the PYTHONGIL=1 use case would be tricky.