Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Jim J. Jewett writes:
> > At the time, we considered it, and we also considered a narrower
> > restriction on using multiple scripts in the same identifier, or at
> > least the same identifier portion (so it was OK if separated by
> > _).

> > This would ban "παν語", aka "pango".  That's arguably a good idea
> (IMO, 0.9 wink), but might make some GTK/GNOME folks sad.

I am not quite motivated enough to search the archives, but I'm pretty sure the
examples actually found were less prominent than that.  There seemed to be at
least one or two fora where it was something of a local idiom.

>... I don't recall ever seeing
> an identifier with ASCII and Japanese glommed together without a
> separator.  It was almost always of the form "English verb - Japanese
> lexical component".

The problem was that some were written without a "-" or "_" to separate the
halves.  It looked fine -- the script change was obvious to even someone who
didn't speak the non-English language.  But having to support that meant any
remaining restriction on mixed scripts would be either too weak to be
worthwhile, or too complicated to write into the python language specification.

-jJ