Petr Viktorin schrieb am 03.02.22 um 13:47:
On 02. 02. 22 11:50, Stefan Behnel wrote:
Maybe we should advertise the two modes more. And make sure that both work. There are certainly issues with the current state of the "limited API" implementation, but that just needs work and testing.

I wonder if it can it be renamed? "Limited API" has a specific meaning since PEP 384, and using it for the public API is adding to the general confusion in this area :(

I was more referring to it as an *existing* compilation mode of Cython that avoids the usage of CPython implementation details. The fact that the implementation is incomplete just means that we spill over into non-limited API code when no limited API is available for a certain feature. That will usually be public API code, unless that is really not available either.

One recent example is the new error locations in tracebacks, where PEP 657 explicitly lists the new "co_positions" field in code objects as an implementation detail of CPython. If we want to implement this in Cython, then there is no other way than to copy these implementation details pretty verbatimly from CPython and to depend on them.

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0657/

In this specific case, we're lucky that this can be considered an entirely optional feature that we can separately disable when users request "public API" mode (let's call it that). Not sure if that's what users want, though.

Stefan