Hi,

I would like to replace runtime checks on C function arguments with
assertions. For example, replace:

PyObject *
PyDict_GetItemWithError(PyObject *op, PyObject *key)
{
    if (!PyDict_Check(op)) {
        PyErr_BadInternalCall();
        return NULL;
    }
}

with:

PyObject *
PyDict_GetItemWithError(PyObject *op, PyObject *key)
{
    assert(PyDict_Check(op));
}

I'm not asking to remove all of them. For example,
PyList_GetItem(list, index) will continuing raising an IndexError if
the index is out of range.

I'm asking to replace runtime checks with assertions when the C API is
"obviously" misused: replace PyErr_BadInternalCall(),
_Py_CheckFunctionResult() and _Py_CheckSlotResult() with assertions.
The exact scope should be defined.

--

Python tries to be nice to C extensions authors and calls
PyErr_BadInternalCall() to emit a nice SystemError exception when the

In Python 3.6, I added the _Py_CheckFunctionResult() function to check
the result of any function call. A function must return a non-NULL
object and not raises an exception, or return NULL and raises an
exception. Otherwise, SystemError is raised. For example,
PyObject_Call() uses it to check the PyTypeObject.tp_call result.

In Python 3.10, I added a similar _Py_CheckSlotResult() function to
check the result of slot functions. For example, PyObject_Size()
checks the result of the PyTypeObject.tp_as_sequence.sq_length slot
function.

--

I modified Python 3.8 to be able to use a debug Python build as a
drop-in replacement of a Python release build: debug and release

A debug Python build adds many other debug features useful to develop
C extensions:
https://docs.python.org/dev/using/configure.html#python-debug-build

IMO with Python 3.11, it's now easy enough to get a Python debug build
to develop or debug your C extensions. End users should not have to
pay the price of these runtime checks.

On most Linux distribution, a Python debug build is available as
"python3-debug" executable. To check if you are using a debug build,
check if the sys.gettotalrefcount() function is available.

By the way, it is also possible to build Python in release mode with
assertions using "./configure --with-assertions":
https://docs.python.org/dev/using/configure.html#cmdoption-with-assertions

So, what do you think?

--

In 2019, I already proposed this idea on the bug tracker, but I
abandoned my idea:

Victor