Anthony Baxter wrote:

>> For reference, here's my effbot.org release procedure:
>>
>> 1) upload the distribution files one by one, as soon as they're
>> available.  all links and stuff will appear automatically
>>
>> 2) update the associated description text through the web, when
>> necessary, as an HTML fragment.  click "save" to publish.
>>
>> 3) mail out an announcement when everything looks good.
>>
>> Maybe I should offer Anthony to do the releases via effbot.org instead?
>
> First off - I'm not going to be posting 10M or 16M files through a
> web-browser. That's insane :-)

oh, I only edit the pages through the web, not the files.  there's
nothing wrong with scp or sftp or rsync-over-ssh or whatever you're
using today.

> The bit of the website that's dealing with the actual files is not the tricky
> bit - I have a dinky little python script that generates the download table.

yeah, but *you* are doing it.  if the server did that, Martin and
other trusted contributors could upload the files as soon as they're
available, instead of first transferring them to you, and then waiting
for you to find yet another precious time slot to spend on this release.

> The problems are with the other bits of the pages. I keep thinking "next
> release, I'll automate it further", but never have time on the day.

that's why you have to have an overall infrastructure that lets you make
incremental tweaks to the tool chain, so things can get a little better
all the time.  Pyramid obviously isn't such a system.

</F>