On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Reid Kleckner <r...@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Jake McGuire <mcgu...@google.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Collin Winter <collinwin...@google.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Profiling
>>> ---------
>>>
>>> Unladen Swallow integrates with oProfile 0.9.4 and newer [#oprofile]_ to
>>> support
>>> assembly-level profiling on Linux systems. This means that oProfile will
>>> correctly symbolize JIT-compiled functions in its reports.
>>
>> Do the current python profiling tools (profile/cProfile/pstats) still
>> work with Unladen Swallow?
>
> Sort of.  They disable the use of JITed code, so they don't quite work
> the way you would want them to.  Checking tstate->c_tracefunc every
> line generated too much code.  They still give you a rough idea of
> where your application hotspots are, though, which I think is
> acceptable.

Hmm.  So cProfile doesn't break, but it causes code to run under a
completely different execution model so the numbers it produces are
not connected to reality?

We've found the call graph and associated execution time information
from cProfile to be extremely useful for understanding performance
issues and tracking down regressions.  Giving that up would be a huge
blow.

-jake