At 01:22 PM 9/27/2010 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
On 9/26/2010 9:38 PM, P.J. Eby wrote:
At 11:15 AM 9/27/2010 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

You misunderstand me; I wasn't asking how to *add* a link, but how to
turn OFF the automatic conversion of the phrase "PEP 333" that happens
without any special markup.

Currently, the PEP 3333 preface is littered with unnecessary links,
because the PEP pre-processor turns *every* mere textual mention of a
PEP into a link to it.

Ouch. This is about as annoying as Thunderbird's message editor popping up a windowed asking me what file I want to at.tach everytime I write the word "at-tach' or a derivative without the extra punctuation. It would definitely not be the vehicle for writing about at=mentment syndromes.

Suggestion pending something better from rst/PEP experts:
"This PEP extends PEP 333 (abbreviated P333 hereafter)."
perhaps with "to avoid auto-link creation" added before ')' to pre-answer pesky questions and to avoid some editor re-expanding the abbreviations.

It turns out that using a backslash before the number (e.g. PEP \333) turns off the automatic conversion.

The PEP still hasn't showed up on Python.org, though, so I'm wondering if maybe I broke something else somewhere.