David Malcolm wrote:

When backporting the fix to ancient python versions, I'm inclined to
turn the change *off* by default, requiring the change to be enabled via
an environment variable: I want to avoid breaking existing code, even if
such code is technically relying on non-guaranteed behavior.  But we
could potentially tweak mod_python/mod_wsgi so that it defaults to *on*.
That way /usr/bin/python would default to the old behavior, but web apps
would have some protection.   Any such logic here also suggests the need
for an attribute in the sys module so that you can verify the behavior.

Surely the way to verify the behaviour is to run this from the shell:

python -c print(hash("abcde"))

twice, and see that the calls return different values. (Or have I misunderstood the way the fix is going to work?)

In any case, I wouldn't want to rely on the presence of a flag in the sys module to verify the behaviour, I'd want to see for myself that hash collisions are no longer predictable.

--
Steven