On 1/5/2012 5:52 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

At some point, presuming that there is no speed penalty, the behaviour will surely become not just enabled by default but mandatory. Python has never promised that hashes must be predictable or consistent, so apart from backwards compatibility concerns for old versions, future versions of Python should make it mandatory. Presuming that there is no speed penalty, I'd argue in favour of making it mandatory for 3.3. Why do we need a flag for something that is going to be always on?

I think the whole paragraph is invalid, because it presumes there is no speed penalty. I presume there will be a speed penalty, until benchmarking shows otherwise.