At Tuesday 5/9/2006 16:23, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I would be surprised if they had never used ANY database. A little
thing like dynamic field typing will simply make it impossible to
migrate your Sqlite data to a *real* database.

Why not? Because it breaks the relational model rules? That model certainly was great 30 years ago, but now things are different. (In fact, you didn't menction the word "relational", but I presume you were thinking of that). Even what you call *real* databases have a lot of incompatibilities among them (e.g. ORACLE does not provide an "autoincrement" type, but has sequences, and so on...). Of course you could restrict yourself to, by example, SQL92 entry level and be a lot more compatible. But if I'm using a nice OO language like Python which lets me bind *any* object to *any* name, why should be wrong to bind *any* object to *any* database column? Looks a lot more "pythonic" for me. Of course, a true object database (like ZODB) is better.

Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL