On 2023-02-18 15:59:32 -0500, Thomas Passin wrote:
> On 2/18/2023 2:59 PM, avi.e.gr...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I do not know the internals of any Roaring Bitmap implementation so all I
> > did gather was that once the problem is broken into accessing individual
> > things I chose to call zones for want of a more specific name, then each
> > zone is stored in one of an unknown number of ways depending on some logic.
>
> Somewhat tangential, but back quite a while ago there was a C library called
> IIRC "julia list".

ITYM Judy arrays. They were mentioned here already.

> It implemented lists in several different ways, some quite
> sophisticated, depending on the size and usage pattern.  I remembered
> it as soon as I took a look at Roaring Bitmap and saw that the latter
> can use different representations depending on size and access
> patterns.

Yes, Roaring Bitmaps are somewhat similar. Judy arrays are more
versatile (they support more data types) and in many ways more
sophisticated, despite being 10+ years older. OTOH Roaring Bitmaps are a
lot simpler which may have contributed to their popularity.

        hp