On 2/18/2023 5:55 PM, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
On 2023-02-18 15:59:32 -0500, Thomas Passin wrote:
On 2/18/2023 2:59 PM, avi.e.gr...@gmail.com wrote:
I do not know the internals of any Roaring Bitmap implementation so all I
did gather was that once the problem is broken into accessing individual
things I chose to call zones for want of a more specific name, then each
zone is stored in one of an unknown number of ways depending on some logic.

Somewhat tangential, but back quite a while ago there was a C library called
IIRC "julia list".

ITYM Judy arrays. They were mentioned here already.

Ha! Fading memory, I guess. Maybe that's why I couldn't find them with an internet search.

It implemented lists in several different ways, some quite
sophisticated, depending on the size and usage pattern.  I remembered
it as soon as I took a look at Roaring Bitmap and saw that the latter
can use different representations depending on size and access
patterns.

Yes, Roaring Bitmaps are somewhat similar. Judy arrays are more
versatile (they support more data types) and in many ways more
sophisticated, despite being 10+ years older. OTOH Roaring Bitmaps are a
lot simpler which may have contributed to their popularity.

         hp