Mike Driscoll wrote:
Christopher Galvan wrote:
Michael Gundlach wrote:
On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Mike Driscoll
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Michael Gundlach wrote:
Hi,

Sorry to be dense, but I assume you mean the ActiveState cookbook at http://code.activestate.com/recipes/langs/python/ ?

He's probably referring to "ActivePython":

http://www.activestate.com/Products/activepython/index.mhtml
http://www.activestate.com/Products/activepython/feature_list.mhtml

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

Michel, thanks for the tip.  Having my users install the ActivePython
distribution isn't really a better solution, as I'd just be replacing
"install pywin32" with "install ActivePython".

Instead, I'm looking for a way to use distutils to install my module
on a user's computer, and at the same time, install the necessary bits
of pywin32 so that COM object consumption and COM event registration
are supported.  That way, the user just types

    easy_install <my_package_name>

and voila, everything is in place.

If this doesn't exist yet for pywin32, I might be willing to have a go
at writing the patch, if I had some pointers.  Perhaps it would be
possible to make a distutils pywin32 package which turned around,
downloaded the install executable, and ran it; then module developers
could install_requires pywin32 and it would Just Work.  I'm new to
distutils, pywin32, and COM, but I'm willing to learn :)

Any more ideas, anyone?

Michael
I work for a company called Enthought who also ships a Python Distribution(EPD) which includes an 'egg' version of pywin32 that someone could easy_install. The entire distribution is free, but unfortunately there is an annual fee to access the egg repository for individual packages. However, I would be more than willing to help you get started with using setuptools and creating an egg for pywin32 :). Even if the pywin32 project doesn't upload the egg to PyPi, there is still another way through setuptools to make a single install step for your users.

-- Chris Galvan

If they don't want it, I can host the egg at pythonlibrary.org. Let me know if I can help. I'm kind of green with the setuptools / easy_install thing too, but it's on my "TODO" list of things to learn.

Mike

Sure thing, I'm always hanging out in #setuptools and #distutils on freenode.net if you want to discuss it in more detail, or anyone for that matter :)

-- Chris Galvan