From: Bill Janssen [mailto:jans...@parc.com]
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2015 9:12 PM
To: Trent Nelson <tr...@trent.me>
Cc: python-win32@python.org; jans...@parc.com
Subject: Re: [python-win32] building a complicated Python application on Windows

Trent Nelson <tr...@trent.me> wrote:

> Ah, so that's just the error that `python setup.py build` would have
> returned, it's not specific to conda-build.
>
> As for what version you need, that's where things get fun:
>       - Python 2.7            = Visual Studio 2008
>       - Python 3.0->3.4       = Visual Studio 2010
>       - Python 3.5+           = Visual Studio 2015
>
> For 2.7, Microsoft released this handy little bundle (thanks Steve
> Dower!):
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44266

I installed this and it still doesn't work.  Just spent an hour researching it,
and I've got to tell you, I can't believe we let ourselves into this situation.
 It's really bad.  The code in distutils/msvc9compiler.py insists that even if
you set the env var VS90COMNTOOLS to point to your installation, it still has
to be in a subdirectory called "VC", which the the Microsoft bundle doesn't do.
"vcvarsall.bat" winds up in
"~/AppData/Local/Programs/Common/Microsoft/Visual C++ for
Python/9.0/vcvarsall.bat".

And the Microsoft bundle doesn't set any of the registry keys msvc9compiler.py
looks for, so it can't find it that way.

I went down into the installed VC, copied vcvarsall.bat to be where
msvc9compiler.py wanted to find it, set the env var, and finally got it.

This is nasty.

Bill