On 17/01/2016 6:51 AM, Malte Forkel wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying the register a COM server using the install script of a built
distribution, created with the  bdist_wininst format of distutils. But
the script fails with a message that MSVCR90.dll can't be found.
Registering the server after the installer is done works fine. I'm using
Python 2.7.11 and pywin32-220 on Windows 7.1 64 bit.

That sounds a little strange - the script should only be executed after python27.dll is loaded, which itself relies on msvcr90.dll.

Does it happen to work if you put the installer executable in the same directory as python27.dll?

Mark

From what I see in Process Monitor, I think that the search for
MSVCR90.dll starts in the installer's directory, moves up the directory
tree and than uses the system search path. Using Dependeny Walter
(depends), I found that ''pythoncom27.dll'' and ''pywintypes27.dll''
can't locate msvcr90.dll, while pythoncomloader27.dll finds it (i.e.,
one of them).

I tried an to import pythoncom first, hoping for some DLL magic, but
that fails as well:

  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<string>", line 16, in <module>
    File "C:\Program Files\Python27\lib\site-packages\pythoncom.py", line 2, in
<module>
      import pywintypes
    File "C:\Program Files\Python27\lib\site-packages\win32\lib\pywintypes.py", line
124, in <module>
      __import_pywin32_system_module__("pywintypes", globals())
    File "C:\Program Files\Python27\lib\site-packages\win32\lib\pywintypes.py",
line 98, in __import_pywin32_system_module__
      raise ImportError("No system module '%s' (%s)" % (modname, filename))
  ImportError: No system module 'pywintypes' (pywintypes27.dll)

I'm not a Windows guy, so I'm running out of ideas what to do. Any advice?

Thanks in advance,
Malte