Eryk's reply is right on the money - I'd forgotten about that. IIRC, having that manifest directly in pythoncomxx.dll or pywintypesxx.dll ended up using a different activation context, which had its own problems; that loader module exists purely to work around these problems.

I'm still a bit confused as to why bdist_wininst isn't working for you when that's the exact same stub used by the pywin32 installer, which obviously does manage to load Python ok.

(The good-ish news is that later MSVC versions no longer have this stupid requirement, but that doesn't help the 2.x series)

Mark